Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Break Time

The Summer break always goes quite quickly and with interstate visitors, a rather cool start to Summer and a few events, my planning for this year has not happened yet!  Usually I like to do it, at the end of the previous year, and then take a look the week before we start "planned" work.  Fortunately we won't be doing any of that for a few weeks...well except a few home ed classes, so I still have a bit of time for my planning.

Gabriel will be starting TAFE tomorrow, which will be interesting, as it is his first experience of systemised education.  He has done plenty of courses, and home ed classes and volunteering over the years, but he is my first home educated child who has not been schooled.  So far I think he's been learning a lot about how disorganised that these systems and places can be!  :D

We've been off to Fringe a little this year, swimming (in our pool and at the beach), relaxing at home, doing jigsaws, playing pool and pokemon, building lego and for me, quite a bit of sewing- the younger two wanted some "Hawaiian style" outfits!

Willow started a new job, as an operations assistant for a small local business.  Turns out all her volunteering to moderate on message boards was very helpful!  She was working in a local cafe last year, but was frustrated by the irregular hours and shifts, and the new work is suiting her interests and experience much more.  She has also started a basic ballet classes for adults with WA ballet which she is loving.  Currently she is also flyering for fringeworld.

So this year I am back to home educating two students.  yr6 and yr1.  At least for the first half of the year.  We will have to see what the second half will hold for Gabriel's yr 12.

Left over pics from last year...
Silhouette drawings with home made almond charcoal.

And in regular black charcoal.

Reading on Greek Myths.  I love Padraic Colum.  He is one of our favourite children's mythology authors.

Another favourite author.  Read this to Arden for our botanical studies this year. 

One of Arden's cactii flowering.

Some of my recent reading. 
I'm also re-reading Harry Potter for some lighter Summer reading.  Gradually getting through it...onto book 5.  I also read "The Trial" by Kafka, after Willow, Gabriel and Damien went to see a performance it by WAAPA students, at Spare Part Puppet Theatre.

Making multi-coloured beet kvass and butter.

Christmas lights and rides around Perth. 


Arden received and built this excellent model of Leonardi's bridge design, on Christmas.  He also got a model hyrdapault.

I made this snake outfit for Irving!

And Arden has a cat outfit.

Gabriel needed some jean repairs.

Covered one stool, that I found in hard waste last year!  The navy blue corduroy is a huge improvement.

Finally some fun on my birthday.  Rolling and running down a hill!






No comments: